background

Friday, February 21, 2014

Rolling Boulders

To wrap up our Denmark and Iceland adventure, I am going to document a few random happenings along the way.

One day in Iceland we devoted some time to finding Crossfit Reykjavik. Cody is not a crossfitter per se, but he has been interested in the workout phenomenon for some years now and watched the Games long before everyone else thought Crossfit was hip and cool. On a whim, Cody mentioned that some of the best Crossfit athletes in the world come from Iceland. Before long we were exploring Reykjavik while looking for gyms. Cody specifically mentioned Annie Thorisdottir, a Crossfit athlete that is so famous that even I recognized the name...to make a long story short, we eventually happened upon the gym (no, I cannot bring myself to call it a box) that Annie is part owner of. Naturally, when we walked in, Annie and a few of her ridiculously in shape buddies were fixing to work out. We got to meet all of them, explore the facility, and talk all about muscles for close to an hour. Cody was in workout heaven and all of the athletes were so very nice.

As is the case with any somewhat lengthy trip, there were also some entertaining moments. Cody and I got along so well on this trip it was ridiculous. There were very few times that I found myself frustrated with his silliness or annoyed by him standing in the way or driving too slow or taking pictures of the most useless stuff that no one will ever want to remember. We just really had a great time. These are a few pictures to capture how often Cody makes me feel really happy and glad to be alive.

 And here's a compilation that sort of defines us.
A few other things I want to remember...Cody filmed close to four minutes of nothing but my butt while on our trip. Walking onto planes. Riding on escalators. Getting on trains. Staring at paintings. All of this was unbeknownst to me as I was actually doing productive stuff during these video shoots. Also, he saved a lot of this footage according to the action I was performing. In more than one of the saved videos he spelled "escalator" as "escilator" and because I love him, I think that is adorable.

At some point I had some deep thoughts on this trip and what it meant for us as young married people in love and wandering the world together. At some point I felt like I knew exactly what it was that I would take away from all of this. At some point I remember telling myself to remember this or that. However, over a month later, I am left with what I always cherish about travelling: a renewed appreciation for where I come from. I am left with a relentless love and respect for Cody for always being willing to run with me when I feel like there's somewhere else I need to be. I am left with a new perspective on the boulders at home that seem to shrink when you're an ocean away. And I am left with a little more strength to roll the boulders that remain the same even after thousands of miles of running, for it is those things that are worth fighting for in Arkansas and Iceland alike. We must keep rolling the boulders.

The sunset as we boarded the plane from Reykjavik to home with Icelandic quotes about travelling and searching and ultimately finding who you are. 
Go somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment